Journey to Iraq - Part 1

As I have mentioned in previous posts, this isnt my first blog. I used Blogger to document my 13month experience in Baghdad, Iraq. It was written (poorly at times) between March 2004 and May 2005. This blog garnered me some level of fame (yeah, i was featured on a couple of news segments around Christmas '04) so I feel it's necessary to share with you, excerpts from my previous blog. I assure you that everything in this series happened to me, HotAirBalogger, not someone I know or something i read on another blog. Due to my desire to remain anonymous, I will have to do some editing before posting it here (my updated comments will be in red), but I will also try to fill in some of the gaps and enhance my posts with some pics of a place most of you only see on the news. With that said, here is:



My Journey to Iraq Part 1:





Guess what..thats really me. Suited up and ready... to find a bomb shelter. And no, I dont smoke...unless I am on fire (insert rim shot)


Leaving NC

*this first series will seem a little dry and maybe even boring, but it gets better. I promise


Post 1

Wassup yall. This weblog is here to document my 12month *(I ended up staying 13months because I didnt have enough "war stories") journey to Iraq. No, I will not be there serving the military. I have already done my time...via US AirForce...but I will be there as a government contractor (if anyone is interested in doing any contractor work in the Middle East, email me). I begin this blog on my last day at MCI (formerly known as:

MCI


MCI/WorldCom


WorldCom



then back to MCI
and now known as Verizon Business





But things are turning around for them and I wish all of them the best (actually at the time, I didnt give a shit about the company, but I am not in the habit of burning bridges...until now).

So anyways...I haven't done anything to get ready for this trip besides quit my job. I have to get my birth certificate and a 7 year driving record. And pack, and spend time with my wife (you all know Mrs. Balogger)and my kids, (Children's names were here). Boy I am going to miss them. I am going to miss everybody.

I heard about this job from my boy (name omitted) who is already over in Kuwait (which is where I would rather go, and if I do, I will change the name of this blog). He is loving it in Kuwait and the loot is up there, which is why I am going...I should be able to put enough money aside so that when I get back, I can live a little better than I am now (The money I made in Iraq was ridiculous, but a word of advise to any current or prospective contractors, save your money. Eventually you are going to come back home.)

So, today at MCI my co-workers had a small pot-luck for me (this along with many other pot-lucks led me to write this). And when I say small, I mean itty-bitty...Either times are tough, they forgot, or they just said "to the hell with his ass!!!" (I'm leaning towards the latter). But its all good, I understand. I ducked-out on a few potlucks myself.

I really don't feel like doing shit today, but I work in a call center (I went from answering the phones and sending the call to a more technically advanced coworker, to becoming a more technically advanced person...and still having to answer the fucking calls...karma is a bitch)and people just wont leave me alone. I will probably end up hanging up on somebody before today is over with. I really want to cuss somebody out, but I aint trying to get fired...like it would really matter now anyway.

Lets see who I can give shouts out to from the Worldwide Technical Service Center...hmmm....they are all cool people....Don't know if I will let others read this, but if so..wassup yall!!! (whats funny about the popularity of this blog is that I only told about 6 people about it. Somehow an entire division of a former fortune 500 company became avid readers. Just goes to show that people cant keep their mouth shut!!!)

Writing this is actually kinda cool...I never had a diary...those are for girls. Not even a journal..except for the one they made us do in high school...my typical entries were:

Oct 17 - Studied for Algebra test

Oct 18 -Got test back. Realized I should have studied more

Oct 21 - Listened to Mr. McGoogle lecture us about writing in our journals everyday

I was never one for writing but I love to read.

I feel like I am rambling on (writing style hasnt changed much folks)...Lets get back on track....Today in Baghdad they are supposed to sign the Iraqi Constitution...but there was some hold up..I think them dudes was fighting over who gets to sign first...Look what being the first to sign did for John Hancock!!

Ok enough babbling for now...I am at the end of my "scheduled lunch" and I don't want to be late arriving back to my desk (this particular organization was adamant about when you started work, when you took your morning break, when you took lunch, etc. And if you were late starting any of those events, it showed up on your review...seriously. Customer service be damned, you better take your break at 3:25pm!!!).


Post 2

Well, its Saturday and guess where I am.... Still at f***ing MCI!!!! Management here convinced (More like based my last check on me showing up) me to come in and work today and tomorrow. Yeah I am nice guy (or should I say financially challenged)....So anyways I am still no closer to Iraq today than I was yesterday. But the good thing about coming in today was that potluck carried over...A couple of my co-workers brought pizza for me and a bangin'chocolate chip cake. (not all pot lucks are bad- especially the ones where a restaurant provides the food. I think they call that catering)

I need a to-do list so that Monday and Tuesday go smoothly. I plan on playing golf with my boy (Name omitted) on Wednesday, who incidentally plans on making the trip to Iraq also... if I keep "recruiting" I will have everyone at mci there. (5 folks followed me)

Yesterday, before I left I had to go around and tell EVERYBODY good bye... That sucked, but being the nice guy that I am I wanted to say bye to everyone. Hugging and shaking hands with people who I could go weeks with even speaking to. Not that I am stuck up, but I really don't get down with a lot a folks and I try to keep to myself. Besides every one I "buddy up" to gets laid off... MCI will lay you off in a heartbeat. And for NO reason too... (Name Omitted) got laid off because he wouldn't kiss the azz of management... He's off the hook, thats why we vibe so well (And still do)

That fool sent me an email yesterday with his Kuwaiti cell phone #.. Guess what happened when I tried to call him?

"in the name of god....blah blah..you have reached the wrong #"

I am sitting here at work with a belly full of greasy cheese pizza -no swine for me- (I have long since given up trying to be pork free, but every 4-5 years, I will give it another shot). (extremely corny joke omitted...)

Today is my brother's Birthday and I need to call him..he goes to UNCG.. tell him I am leaving.. that will shock him...

My kids' birthday is this coming week too...(name omitted) is on 9th and (name omitted) is on the 11th...I planned it perfectly!!! what a treat for their birthday...Daddy is leaving for 12months (Actually i was back home in 3). I feel bad doing it, but its all for them (and the little shits still havent said thank you).

I still don't know what I am going to do when I get back , but thats next year.

This post is boring....I will write later



Post3

Its Wednesday and I wanted To add a quick note. I found out yesterday that I am leaving Sunday 11:56am. Which means I probably should be at the airport Saturday night! (in 4 years airline travel has actually gotten worse)

I went on Monday to get a few things off my check list. I had to get some steel-toe boots and a windup alarm clock, which I haven't used since I was about 12 (And never used for the entire time i was there, I think its still in a box somewhere).

Latest Iraqi news: 2 US civilians and their Iraqi translator were killed by some shit head posing as an Iraqi policeman. Shit is getting real now. My level of nervousness went up a notch on that bit of info. But I am pressing on. It doesn't bother me that much, I am just ready to get over there so I can get back to my family.

Yesterday was (name omitted) 1st birthday. *NOTE TO SELF* never give a baby ice cream and cake at 7pm unless you want them to stay up all night. (name omitted) was off the hook last night and would not go to sleep at all. The first tooth FINALLY broke through this week also (ironically, that same tooth fell out of said person's head a couple of weeks ago).

For all of you who don't wear your seat belts, let me tell you what happened to my wife. She got caught putting hers on in front of a cop and the asshole gave her a ticket anyway (i dont think its fair to call the cop an asshole. I mean really, why in the hell would she put on a seat belt in front of a cop...by the way, that lesson still has not been learned by Mrs. Balogger. I am expecting a fresh seat belt ticket any day). Well, I went to go pay the ticket on Monday and I had to give those bastards at the courthouse $75!!! For a damn seat belt ticket. Since when do you have to pay court cost, if you don't go to court?!?!? Another ploy by our government to get over on the little guy.

Today, I need to get my taxes filed and finish getting my stuff for my checklist. I am trying to decide if I should get this cheap portable DVD player I saw in Walmart. 7" screen with a carrying case for $190 (that same device costs about $60 now...damn technology). I would hate to buy it and then not have anywhere to plug it up.

I found out some of my male co-workers are planning a small going away party for me on Friday. That should be nice (oh boy was it!!! I still get misty thinking about THAT night).

What else can I post today..........nothing..I hear (name omitted) screaming so I guess I should go see what the problem is.

Til next time



Post 4

Well this is it!!!! My last post before I get on the plane. I DO NOT WANT TO GO!!!! but I know this is the right thing for my family's future (looking back now, it was only a temporary solution to a financial problem, but it was a great experience). I have been up for about an hour and I have already shed many tears. This is hard, but I have to keep telling myself that it is for my family.

Today in Iraq... 6 more soldiers died today. I am really not understanding the mentality of those folks. We are there to help, but they just see us as potential targets. I am going to do a lot of praying that God brings me back home safely and that my wife and kids stay strong and healthy, cause when I get back we are go to party like its 1999!!!!

It looks like I will be home around August, unless I get real homesick and try to get here sooner. I really want to try to stick it out for the 4months, so that they will pay for me to fly (I came back in July and they still paid for it...so there).

Well that's all I want to say. For those of you reading this, say a little prayer for me and family (thanks for the prayers..they worked. I made it back with all my appendages, and a nasty growth on neck. Oh wait, thats just my head)

Stay tuned for Part 2....

0 Puffs. Leave yours here.: