NYPD mistake hairbrush for handgun


Let me start this one off by saying, this is a tragedy.

Once again the NYPD has killed a man holding a harmless object.

********************

After officers arrived at the mother's Bedford-Stuyvesant apartment, the teen refused to stop as he approached police with a black object in his hand hidden under his shirt, Browne said. Police then fired 20 shots at the teen, killing him, said Browne. But he said Coppin was found unarmed and only carrying a black hairbrush.

********************

A Hairbrush....

But before you get upset...check this out:

********************

The Monday night shooting followed a 911 call from the man's mother, said New York Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne.
In the 911 recording the son, Khiel Coppin, "can be heard saying I've got a gun, I've got a gun," Browne said.
The 911 operator asked the mother if there was a gun involved and she responded "you heard it from his mouth," said Browne.

*********************

Its obvious that there was some mental issues abound. Kheil Coppin was obviously not operating on a full tank. And his mother had to know.

I know the NYPD is not known for being friendly in the black community.

Just ask these brothers:




I made a joke but its really not a joking matter. You really have to wonder why the police arent able to exercise more restraint than they do. How hard is it to distinguish a hairbrush from a handgun?

But wait a minute.

Lets look at ALL the facts.

The 911 dispatcher heard Khiel say "i've got a gun", which she passed on to the responding officers.

After the officers arrived on the scene, Kheil "refused to stop as he approached police with a black object in his hand hidden under his shirt".

Ask yourself this: You are a cop, sent to a place where there is a gun involved, you are being approached by a man who is refusing to obey your commands with his hands in his search. What do you do?

What do you do?

Dammit, you wait until you know your life is in danger. You dont open fire on someone with his hand in his shirt. Regardless of what he is doing. There was no reason for that kid, and thats what he was, to die.

I dont know if i would have been able to restrain myself from firing. The only thing on my mind would be " i want to make home to Mrs. Balogger and the kids and this person may prevent that". But thats why i sit at a desk and not in a cop car.

Not all cops are bad and i am not suggesting that the ones that shot Kheil Coppin are bad. They made a mistake. we all do. But, if i make a mistake on my job, the worst that could happen is a company may lose some data. When a cop makes a mistake, lives could come to an end....

We need cops and we need them to be on point. I think they need to examine those deadly force laws/rules of engagement again

....but i could be wrong

Kheil Coppin is in a better place now.

2 Puffs. Leave yours here.:

Anonymous said...

THIS IS JUST WRONG. Why are we shooting our children? Why are our professionals not trained to DEAL. I realize police may be afraid......but, they DO NOT have to do the job if they are that afraid.......THIS is unthinkable......and NOW is making me fearful.

Anonymous said...

I am a law enforcement officer, and I believe this was a perfectly good shoot in my professional opinion. As a law enforcement officer dispatched to a scene where the subject reportedy has a gun, you are already at a disadvantage. For starters, the officers showed restraint in not shooting the boy when he was pointing his "gun" at them in the first place. Just because you cannot see the gun doesn't mean there isn't one, and police are trained, first and foremost, for officer safety. Officers go through so much training on the use of firearms and when to and not to use deadly force. It is a tragedy that this child had to die, but just because we are trained professionals does not mean that we should put our lives at risk simply because they want us to make 100% sure there is a gun. Don't blame the officers for the death of this young man. I put on a badge, a kevlar vest, and a gun everyday. I protect and serve people everyday who couldn't care less what happens to me, yet I still do everything in my power to protect them. I'm not paid that well, and I don't ask for a lot. I ask you to understand the stress my brothers and I go through everyday. And I hope you realize that we go out there everyday to protect citizens like you. Every group has their bad apples, but don't confuse these police officers with them. I have a family too, and every night I fight to get home to my family. Do not make me or my brothers catch a bullet simply so that we can get a 100% confimation that there is a deadly weapon. I mourn with you for this boy, but do not place the blame on us.